[openstack-dev] Barbican: Secure Setup & HSM-plugin

Douglas Mendizábal douglas.mendizabal at rackspace.com
Fri Aug 12 16:24:28 UTC 2016

Hi Manuel,

I'm happy to hear about your interest in Barbican.  I assume your HSM
has a PKCS#11 interface since the admin commands to generate the MKEK
and HMAC keys worked for you.

The labels for the generated keys should be specified in the config
file for the API process. [1]  The API process uses the MKEK and HMAC
keys to encrypt and sign the secrets (keys) that are stored in
Barbican by clients.

The PKCS#11 plugin was designed to use the SQL Database to store
client keys (secrets) in the SQL database, so your API process must be
configured to use "store_crypto" as the enabled_secretstore_plugins
[2] in addition to specifing "p11_crypto" as the
enabled_crypto_plguins [3].

When configured this way, Barbican uses the HSM to encrypt the client
data (keys/secrets) before storing it in the DB.

The API itself does not currently support using keys stored by clients
to do server-side encryption, but it's a feature that has been
discussed in previous summits with some interest.  We've also had some
discussions with the Designate team to add server-side signing that
they could use to implement DNSSEC, but we don't yet have a blueprint
for it.

- - Douglas Mendizábal

[1]
http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/barbican/tree/etc/barbican/barbi