[openstack-dev] [nova] Thoughts on testing novaclient functional with neutron

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Aug 12 15:13:04 UTC 2016

I opened a bug yesterday against novaclient for running the functional
tests against a neutron-backed devstack:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-novaclient/+bug/1612410

With neutron being the default in devstack now, people hacking on
novaclient and running functional tests locally are going to have a hard
time since the tests are unconditionally written with the assumption
that the backing devstack is using nova-network.

So we need to make the tests conditional, the question is what's the
best way?

We could use a config like how Tempest does it, but where does that
happen? In the clouds.yaml, or the post_test_hook.sh, other?

Another idea is the base functional test that sets up the client just
checks the keystone service catalog for a 'network' service entry,
somewhere in here:

https://github.com/openstack/python-novaclient/blob/232711c0ef98baf79bcf4c8bdbae4b84003c9ab9/novaclient/tests/functional/base.py#L116

Thoughts on either approach or something completely different?

Matt Riedemann