[openstack-dev] [Cinder] [stable] [all] Changing stable policy for drivers

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Aug 12 13:30:09 UTC 2016

Duncan Thomas wrote:
> [...]
> To turn the question around, what is the downside of loosing the tag?

The tag does not exist in a vacuum. It describes a behavior that
operators want.

They want a sane deprecation policy so that the blanket is not pulled
from under them without a warning. They want a sane stable policy so
that they can deploy from trusted stable branches and not necessarily
review patch-per-patch to see if one happens to change behavior in an
unwanted way.

> Are people going to suddenly stop deploying cinder? That seems rather
> unlikely.

This sounds a bit like "you'll have to swallow this or just stop
deploying cinder altogether" which is not really a place I want us to
put our users in.

Asking the same questions on the -operators list, telling them that you
won't have a deprecation policy or a stable policy anymore and that if
you don't like it you should drop OpenStack altogether, I suspect you'd
get a pretty sad response.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)