[openstack-dev] [all] versioning the api-ref?

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Fri Aug 12 09:49:57 UTC 2016

On 08/11/2016 06:02 PM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
> I have a question about the api-ref. Right now, for example, the new
> images v1/v2 api-refs are accurate for Mitaka.  But DocImpact bugs are
> being generated as we speak for changes in master that won't be
> available to consumers until Newton is released (unless they build from
> source). If those bug fixes get merged, then the api-ref will no longer
> be accurate for Mitaka API consumers (since it's published upon update).

I'm confused about this statement.

Are you saying that the Glance v2 API in Mitaka and Newton are different
in some user visible ways? But both are called the v2 API? How does an
end user know which to use?

The assumption with the api-ref work is that the API document should be
timeless (branchless), and hence why building from master is always
appropriate. That information works for all time.

We do support microversion markup in the document, you can see some of
that in action here in the Nova API Ref -
http://developer.openstack.org/api-ref/compute/?expanded=list-servers-detail

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague