[openstack-dev] [requirements] near term gate optimization opportunity

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Thu Aug 11 23:56:48 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 09:13:12AM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> On 2016-08-10 23:06, Sean Dague wrote:
> > Based on reading some logs, it looks like requirements updates are
> > getting regenerated on every requirements land for all open patches,
> > even if they aren't impacted by it -
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/351991/
> >
> > patch 10,11,12 in that series are just rebases, all happening within a
> > couple of hours.
> >
> > With the check queue at ... 505 changes as of this email, this is
> > definitely adding some extra load to the system.
> >
> > It would be a great optimization for someone to look at the script -
> > https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/ab89ab40ed74db306ce10e36341d39f23231f012/jenkins/scripts/propose_update.sh
> > and make it so that if the commit did not change, don't push a rebased
> > review.
>
> Good idea!
>
> One thing to keep in mind: You want to rebase if there's a merge conflict...

What about adding a check and only rebasing if and only if the chnage in
question has a -1 from Jenkins?

That'd mean that in-flight reviews don't get rebased but we *do* rebase if
we're in merge conflict.

The downside to this is we'll be doing *more* gerrit queries but that's
probably ok.

Yours Tony.