[openstack-dev] [nova] Possible REST API design change for get-me-a-network (2.37)

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 11 21:53:50 UTC 2016

I wanted to bring this up for awareness since we're getting close to
feature freeze and want consensus before it gets too late.

Ken'ichi brought up a good question on my REST API change for the 2.37
microversion:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/316398/

The way I had written this was to just add special auto/none values for
the networks 'uuid' field in the server create request schema.

The catch with using auto/none is that they can't be specified with any
other values, like other networks, or a port, or really anything else.
It's just a list with a single entry and that's either uuid=auto or
uuid=none.

Ken'ichi's point was, why not just make "networks" in this case map to
'auto' or 'none' or the list that exists today.

I like the idea, it's cleaner and it probably allows moving some of the
validation from the REST API code into the json schema (I think, not
totally sure about that yet).

It is a change for how networks are requested today so there would be
some conditional logic change pushed on the client - my tempest test
change and novaclient changes would have to be updated for sure.

So I'm looking for input on that idea before we get too late, is that
difference worth the work and syntax change in how the client requests a
network when creating a server?

Matt Riedemann