[openstack-dev] [nova] os-capabilities library created

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Aug 11 21:52:45 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Jay Pipes's message of 2016-08-03 19:47:37 -0400:
> Hi Novas and anyone interested in how to represent capabilities in a
> consistent fashion.
>
> I spent an hour creating a new os-capabilities Python library this evening:
>
> http://github.com/jaypipes/os-capabilities
>
> Please see the README for examples of how the library works and how I'm
> thinking of structuring these capability strings and symbols. I intend
> os-capabilities to be the place where the OpenStack community catalogs
> and collates standardized features for hardware, devices, networks,
> storage, hypervisors, etc.
>
> Let me know what you think about the structure of the library and
> whether you would be interested in owning additions to the library of
> constants in your area of expertise.
>
> Next steps for the library include:
>
> * Bringing in other top-level namespaces like disk: or net: and working
> with contributors to fill in the capability strings and symbols.
> * Adding constraints functionality to the library. For instance,
> building in information to the os-capabilities interface that would
> allow a set of capabilities to be cross-checked for set violations. As
> an example, a resource provider having DISK_GB inventory cannot have
> *both* the disk:ssd *and* the disk:hdd capability strings associated
> with it -- clearly the disk storage is either SSD or spinning disk.
>
> Anyway, lemme know your initial thoughts please.

Did we ever resolve the similarities between this and Searchlight's
similar goals of providing consistent metadata to the users?

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/glance/metadefs-concepts.html

I understand your library is for operators and developers to
collaborate, but it seems like there should be some alignment with this
UI that wants to do the same thing for the end user where appropriate.