[openstack-dev] [infra] Project tailored VM image for Jenkins jobs

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Aug 11 15:29:33 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-11 02:30:07 -0500 (-0500), eran at itsonlyme.name wrote:
[...]
> So it seems the way to go is:
> 1. Upload what we need to e.g.:
> http://tarballs.openstack.org/storlet/images/docker/ubuntu_14.04.tar.gz

Yep, generally you'd have a CI job build and upload that, not
generate it by hand. If this is something that already exists in the
wild on the Internet, then you'd use whatever the actual URL to it
is instead of putting a copy on our tarballs site.

> 2. Add the corresponding IMAGE_URL entry to stackrc
[...]

Correct, as long as you're talking about the stackrc in the
openstack-dev/devstack repo. If this is not something of general
utility for other users of DevStack then its core reviewers may not
go for that option so best to discuss with them.

> The .tar.gz we need is ~65MB, would that be ok?

That's probably in line with the size of other images DevStack
currently uses, though there is the risk that lots of projects want
their own special images cached on disk and at some point we have to
make some hard decisions as to what we can reasonably keep embedding
in our nodepool images.
--
Jeremy Stanley