[openstack-dev] [nova] The deprecation of proxy API related CLI

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 11 14:00:11 UTC 2016

On 8/10/2016 11:01 PM, Alex Xu wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>
> We have agreement on how to deprecate the CLI for the proxy APIs which
> were deprecated in 2.36 when mid-cycle. But I still feels that we have
> something isn't very clear. So I just want to summary the situation at
> here, and to be clear the final goal.
>
> Here are the patches https://review.openstack.org/347514
> and https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348499
>
> So the agreement is:
>
> When user executes the network related CLI without specific version or
> with specific version > 2.35, the CLI will fallback to 2.35 automatically.
>
> For the API part, we won't do any workaround, so that means we will stop
> to support those after 2.35, we need add decorator like
> this https://github.com/openstack/python-novaclient/blob/master/novaclient/v2/servers.py#L917

I hadn't considered capping the python APIs in novaclient like this, but
it was something I was wondering about. The image and baremetal CLI/APIs
in novaclient have already been deprecated, but we don't cap those in
the API, nor do we try and make it a soft landing for the CLIs. The only
reason the network stuff gets a temporary pass on the CLI side is for
nova-network users.

That's also because the CLI defaults to 2.latest, the API doesn't. So
for the API you have to opt into use newer versions, right? If that's
the case, then you would need to consciously request 2.36 on those proxy
APIs for them to fail, which I'm hoping people aren't going to be doing,
or at least they should be reading the REST API version history first to
see what they are opting into.