[openstack-dev] [tc][cinder][stable] tag:follows-standard-deprecation should be removed

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Thu Aug 11 13:36:08 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Erno Kuvaja's message of 2016-08-11 13:59:54 +0100:
> On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote:
> > Excerpts from Erno Kuvaja's message of 2016-08-11 12:26:59 +0100:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> As follow up on the mailing list discussion [0], gerrit activity
> >> [1][2] and cinder 3rd party CI policy [3] I'd like to initiate
> >> discussion how Cinder follows, or rather does not follow, the standard
> >> deprecation policy [4] as the project has been tagged on the assert
> >> page [5].
> >>
> >> I'm not here to argue about the justification or rightfulness of the
> >> Cinder policy regarding the drivers with 3rd party CI. (quite frankly
> >> I think the Cinder policy makes lots of sense and thus propose the
> >> removal of the tag rather than change of that policy) Just stating the
> >> obvious that the Cinder policy does not comply with the
> >> follows-standard-deprecation and thus the tag should be removed from
> >> Cinder.
> >>
> >> Best,
> >> Erno (jokke) Kuvaja
> >>
> >> [0] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2016-August/100717.html
> >> [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348032/
> >> [2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/348042/
> >> [3] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Cinder/tested-3rdParty-drivers
> >> [4] https://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/assert_follows-standard-deprecation.html#requirements
> >> [5] https://governance.openstack.org/reference/tags/assert_follows-standard-deprecation.html#application-to-current-projects
> >>

> > Can you be more specific about what you mean? Are you saying that
> > the policy isn't being followed because the drivers were removed
> > without a deprecation period, or is there something else to it?
> >
> > Doug
> >

> Yes, that's how I see it. Cinder's own policy is that the drivers can
> be removed without any warning to the consumers while the standard
> deprecation policy defines quite strict lines about informing the
> consumer of the functionality deprecation before it gets removed.
>
> - Erno

Those policies do seem to be in conflict. We should consider whether
it makes sense to adjust Cinder's policy on drivers or remove the
stable tag.

I've added "[stable]" to the subject to get the stable team's input.
I think Tony's TZ means he's likely at the end of his day already,
by maybe some other members of the team will have something to add.

Doug