[openstack-dev] [TripleO] Network Template Generator

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Aug 10 23:10:20 UTC 2016

On 08/10/2016 11:05 AM, Liz Blanchard wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com
> <mailto:openstack at nemebean.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 08/08/2016 09:22 PM, Dan Prince wrote:
>     > On Mon, 2016-08-08 at 15:42 -0500, Ben Nemec wrote:
>     >> This is something that has existed for a while, but I had been
>     >> hesitant
>     >> to evangelize it until it was a little more proven.  At this point
>     >> I've
>     >> used it to generate templates for a number of different environments,
>     >> and it has worked well.  I decided it was time to record another demo
>     >> and throw it out there for the broader community to look at.  See
>     >> details on my blog:
>     >> http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g <http://blog.nemebean.com/content/tripleo-network-isolation-template-g>
>     >> enerator
>     >>
>     >> Most of what you need to know is either there or in the video itself.
>     >> Let me know what you think.
>     >
>     > Very cool. For those that don't like "hand cutting" their own network
>     > configuration templates this is a good CLI based generator.
>     >
>     > Like you mention it would be nice to eventually converge this tool
>     > somehow into both the UI and CLI but given that it works with older
>     > releases as well it makes sense that it is CLI only for now.
>
>     Yeah, my assumption is that at some point the UI will have similar
>     functionality.  Ideally the UI would replace this entirely, but I
>     suspect that's a ways off and we'll have to see how it plays out for
>     people doing CLI installs.
>

> Speaking of which...I'd love to work closely with you, Ben, to put
> together a wireframe design for the TripleO UI to support something like
> what you've done here. It looks awesome and I'd love to understand the
> use cases a bit more and how it might work into the current UI flow.
>
> I do have a first draft of a design that allows for some network
> configuration that I'd love to get folks thoughts on:
> https://invis.io/UM87J4NBQ
>
> Of course, as you mention, this would be something that is looking into
> the future for the UI but it would be awesome to start now with
> wireframes :)

Sure, I'm happy to provide whatever input I can.  We'll probably want to
include Dan Sneddon in those discussions as well.  He had a lot of good
feedback on the early versions of this tool.

In general, I'm pretty happy with how the tool's UI works.  The one big
thing missing is an overview diagram of what's been configured.  The
multi-pane layout keeps the view simple since you can only drill down
one path at a time, but it does make it hard to see the big picture
sometimes.  I think I actually saw a mockup of a network visualization
you had done a while back that would potentially have filled this gap
nicely.

I'm not really a web UI developer (and I'm pointedly not looking at
http://ucw-bnemec.rhcloud.com/ ;-) so I don't know how everything in my
tool will map to that, but I could probably write up some user stories
that I was trying to address.  I can also tell you what I specifically
did not intend to support, because I lost some time designing for stuff
that Dan ultimately told me we didn't need to worry about.

I'm out on PTO next week, so it may be after that before I have a chance
to follow-up, but I'll add it to the TODO list. :-)