[openstack-dev] [vitrage] spec for datasource

Yujun Zhang zhangyujun+zte at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 11:48:23 UTC 2016

Hi lfat,

Thank you for the answers, please see my reply inline.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 6:51 PM Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL) <ifat.afek at nokia.com>
wrote:

> Hi Yujun,
>
> Please see my answers below.
>
> Best Regards,
> Ifat.
>
> From: Yujun Zhang
> Date: Tuesday, 9 August 2016 at 12:06
>

> For proprietary datasource, I'm considering to adapt the api to common
> protocol/interface, e.g. RESTful, SNMP and etc and I wish to know how to
> add support for these interface.
>
> [Ifat]: Do you mean that you want to write a datasource that gets its
> information from SNMP/REST API? Note that for alarm datasources, we have in
> our roadmap to support OPNFV Doctor SB REST API[1]. Will it be relevant for
> your use cases?

[yujunz] Great, this could also be a good start point for us

> Some documents are found in https://github.com/openstack/vitrage-specs and
>> datasource seems to be related to synchronizer but I didn't find a
>> dedicated spec.
>>
> [Ifat]: We started documenting the process of adding a new datasource, but
> the document is not final. We will try to finish it shortly. BTW, there are
> many other documents in Vitrage wiki page[2].

[yujunz] Thanks.

https://github.com/openstack/vitrage/blob/master/vitrage/datasources/__init__.py

> 2. Is the type of datasource (ALARM/RESOURCE) configured in
>> `/etc/vitrage/datasource_values/<datasource>.yaml` ?
>>
> [Ifat]: No, it is configured in the datasource code. For information about
> datasource_values please see [3]

[yujunz] which code file? I found `category: RESOURCE` in the datasource
configuration file as
https://github.com/openstack/vitrage/blob/master/doc/source/resource-state-config.rst#format

> 3. Is there any other datasource type besides ALARM/RESOURCE?
>
> [Ifat]: No, and at the moment we don’t see a need for that. Vitrage can
> hold resources of any type in a topology graph, and manage alarms that are
> raised on these resources. If you see a use case for other datasource
> types, let us know.

[yujunz]  I agree. Just ask to confirm my guess :-)

> 4. What does `aggregated values` and `priority` mean
>>
> [Ifat]: Detailed in [3]

[yujunz]: Clear now.

> 5. What is the required data format for the datasource driver api? The
>> inline comments give some brief description but didn't specify the api
>> signature.
>> Many thanks.
>>
> [Ifat]: This should be part of the datasource documentation that we need
> to add. But basically, the driver should return a dictionary with few
> predefined fields (like datasource type, timestamp), and add whatever data
> is needed for the datasource. Then, the datasource transformer will
> transform this data into a vertex and decide where to connect it to the
> graph.

[yujunz] So if I understand it correctly, driver and transformer works as a
pair and the intermediate data format is not exposed to vitrage. It
consumes data from the sources and convert them into graph