[openstack-dev] [vitrage] questions and answers

Yujun Zhang zhangyujun+zte at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 09:16:49 UTC 2016

Dear all,

Below is a digest of conversation between me and vitrage PTL lfat. It
clarifies some of my questions and I hope it will also be useful for
developers who are watching vitrage project.

   -

   relationship between entities Examples of "on" and "contain" given in
   document. But not sure how to extend it, e.g. adding a new relationship
   such as "equivalent"

[Ifat] Right now we have template validation code, which checks that
the relationship  type is one of a few predefined types. I don’t think this
is the right behaviour. It is very reasonable for a datasource to add its
own relationship types. I think we should modify the code, and  maybe have
a configuration file(s) with all possible relationship types. This way, we
can still do the validation but it will be easy to support new relationship
types. You are welcome to add a blueprint for that.

   -

   rule live update

   Is it possible to modify the template on line without interrupting the
   service?

[Ifat] Not yet, but this is in our roadmap, see
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/vitrage/+spec/crud-templates-api

   -

   condition format

   Example of "not" is given in
   https://github.com/openstack/vitrage/blob/master/doc/source/vitrage-template-format.rst#condition-format
but
   negation is marked to be done in
   https://github.com/openstack/vitrage/blob/master/doc/source/vitrage-template-format.rst#negation
.
   So what is the current situation? Is multiple ( more than three )
   conditions combination supported?

[Ifat] The negation is not marked as done. It says: “We *need to* support
‘not' operator”. Again, this is in our roadmap. Regarding multiple
conditions, we don’t limit their number.

   -

   performance

   How many rules can be evaluate per second? Is there a benchmark?

[Ifat] We did not perform such a benchmark yet.

   -

   supported data source

   Examples of nagios and nova are given. Is there any limitation on the
   required protocol? e.g. retrieving data from http, snmp, odbc.

[Ifat] You can add whatever datasource that you want, and get data in any
format. It is the datasource responsibility to convert this data into
Vitrage format, so it can  be added to the graph.