[openstack-dev] [infra][neutron] - best way to load 8021q kernel module into cirros

Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo majopela at redhat.com
Tue Aug 9 07:11:29 UTC 2016

Answers inline.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Antonio Ojea <aojea at midokura.com> wrote:
> What do you think about openwrt images?
>
> They are small, have documentation to build your custom images, have a
> packaging system and have tons of networking features (ipv6, vlans, ...) ,
> also seems that someone has done the work to adapt to openstack [1]
>

> [1] http://hackstack.org/x/blog/2014/08/17/openwrt-images-for-openstack/

At first glance, that could be a good idea, openwrt is low in memory
footprint, and high on network capabilities (which could be a good
thing for testing)

For example, having things like netperf/iperf could be a great thing
for tools likes shaker or bandwidth shaping policing tests.

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 1:56 AM, Ian Wienand <iwienand at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 08/09/2016 02:10 AM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't personally tested the CirrOS build instructions, but have
>>> a feeling writing a diskimage-builder element wrapper for that
>>> wouldn't be particularly challenging.
>>

>> I'm not exactly sure it fits that well into dib; it seems like
>> "bundle" has it mostly figured out.  I say that based on [1] where we
>> are discussing a similar thing for cirros images with watchdog
>> support.
>>
>> As mentioned we can easily build these and store them, and put them on
>> mirrors if we need them closer to nodes.  What I mentioned in [1] and
>> didn't particularly like is if the build of these images is totally
>> removed from where they're actually used (e.g. a custom script inside
>> a job in project-config, where basically anyone outside infra can't
>> easily replicate the build for a local test).  But if several projects
>> are building slightly different cusomised cirros images, it might be
>> worth consolidating.

I agree with Ian here, we should be in control of how tiny test images
are built, so probably a project & tuneable job to build those images
would be a fantastic idea IMO, if that's what you mean.