[openstack-dev] [nova] Nova mascot

Alexis Lee lxsli at hpe.com
Mon Aug 8 13:26:18 UTC 2016

Markus Zoeller said on Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 01:29:49PM +0200:
> On 08.08.2016 13:07, Alexis Lee wrote:
> > I propose the ant, known for discovering probabilistic graph traversal
> > algorithms.
> >
> > My other thought, the bee, has already been taken by refstack.
>
> AFAIK #infra is going to chose the ant.

I suppose getting in there quick would be considered unsporting?

At least this illustrates why we should hurry up.

> I propose the "supernova":
>     https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova#/media/File:SN1994D.jpg
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova#/media/File:GKPersei-MiniSuperNova-20150316.jpg

IMHO it fails the "distinct in stylized cartoon illustrations"
criterion, it just looks like a star or explosion.

The gorilla is taken but we could have a monkey. I like the Golden Lion
Tamarin. Monkeys are vaguely smart and its ruff is not unreminiscent of
a supernova, or at least a firework explosion.

Alternatively, we could have a mountain*. Massively scalable. Very
traditional symbol, easy to draw.

Other ideas, mostly with issues - adder (CPU); snowshoe hare, star-nosed
mole, lynx (Nova Scotia); dolphin, open brain coral (brain); wellspring,
mitosis (novelty); hummingbird, tiger (generic); sheepdog (herding).

Alexis (lxsli)

* It's tempting to suggest a volcano (mountain that's liable to explode
taking out everyone in a several-mile radius).
--
Nova developer, Hewlett-Packard Limited.
Registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berkshire RG12 1HN.