[openstack-dev] [tripleo] Progress on overcloud upgrade / update jobs

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 22:45:55 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > This sounds good, and it seems to be a valid replacement for the old
>> > "upgrades" job - it won't catch all kinds of update bugs (in particular
>> > it
>> > obviously won't run any packaged based updates at all), but it will
>> > catch
>> > the most serious template regressions, which will be useful coverage to
>> > maintain I think.

>> > I think getting this coverage in place is very important, we're
>> > experiencing a lot of post-release pain due to the lack of this
>> > coverage,
>> > so +1 on any steps we can take to get some coverage here, I'd say go
>> > ahead
>> > and do the prototype if you have time to do it.
>>
>> ok, /me working on it.
>>
>> > You may want to chat with weshay, as I know there are some RDO upgrade
>> > tests which were planned to be run as third-party jobs to get some
>> > upgrade
>> > coverage - I'm not sure if there is any scope for reuse here, or if it
>> > will
>> > be easier to just wire in the upgrade via our current scripts (obviously
>> > some form of reuse would be good if possible).
>>
>> ack

>> > My only question about undercloud upgrades is whether we might combine
>> > the
>> > overcloud upgrade job with this, e.g upgrade undercloud, then updgrade
>> > overcloud.  Probably the blocker here will be the gate timeout I guess,
>> > even if we're using pre-cached images etc.
>>
>> Yes, my final goal was to have a job like:
>> 1) deploy Mitaka undercloud
>> 2) deploy Mitaka overcloud
>> 3) run pingtest
>> 4) upgrade undercloud to Newton
>> 5) upgrade overcloud to newton
>> 6) re-run pingtest
>

> FYI.. Mathieu wrote up https://review.openstack.org/#/c/323750/
>
> Emilien feel free to take it over, just sync up w/ Mathieu when he returns
> from PTO on Monday.
> Thanks

Ok so I didn't modify his code, though I took over to add more bits.

Also, I prepared everything to start tests in upstream CI:

1) Rename upgrades to updates jobs:
Rename it in openstack-infra/project-config https://review.openstack.org/351914
Rename it in tripleo-ci: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/351937
Once it's done, we'll have 2 experimental jobs for upgrading
overcloud: updates and upgrades, as we agreed in this thread.

2) Undercloud upgrade job was rebased: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/346995/
It contains some workarounds. Now the Undercloud Upgrade blueprint has
been merged, people involved in upgrade should help me in 346995 (by
review) to discuss about where we put the code that we need to
upgrade.

3) Overcloud update job was renamed and rebased:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/351330/
It is passing CI, please review it and once it's merged, I'll propose
to move it to check queue eventually, since we don't run the OVB
updates job for all TripleO patches at this time, but only on periodic
and experimental pipelines.
Having gate-tripleo-ci-centos-7-nonha-multinode-updates-nv in the
check queue will help us to again having an update job in place for
free. This job will be useful until we get an upgrade job working.

4) Overcloud upgrade job: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/323750/
This is highly work in progress but Mathieu Bultel and I will work
together to get it working. We'll use experimental pipeline for that.
On a side note, I took the initiative to rebase it, add some bits,
create a mini TODO in the commit message and also rebase
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/321027/ useful for upgrades.

Any question or feedback is welcome!
--
Emilien Macchi