[openstack-dev] [Glance][TC][Heat][App-Catalog][Murano][Tacker] Glare as a new Project

stuart.mclaren at hp.com stuart.mclaren at hp.com
Fri Aug 5 13:52:44 UTC 2016

I think this makes sense.

"Should Artifacts be part of Glance?" is something folks have been
debating for several years now, with seemingly equal numbers on
each side.

Even though it was far from unanimous, several summits ago it was decided
to aim for a a v3 Glance API which would support all artifact types,
including images. That turned out to be too ambitious for a project that
really was starting at times to operate close to maintenance mode. (
eg I haven't contributed at all this cycle). The realisation that
V3 wasn't going to happen in our lifetime, difficulties mapping between
V3 and V2 (and V1!) calls, and (IIRC) DefCore feedback, meant V3 was
abandoned: we'd have two separate APIs. That's actually a decision that
was taken a while ago, and isn't new.

As a previously stressed out operator (is there any other kind?) I
understand that anything that means you have more work to do is painful,
and should be considered a negative. But it shouldn't be the only
consideration. For me, moving a distinct API to its own project makes
the most longterm sense.

Thanks to Mike, Alex, Kairat et al for their (hopefully continuing)
Glance contributions and patience.

-Stuart