[openstack-dev] [tc] persistently single-vendor projects

Zane Bitter zbitter at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 13:26:17 UTC 2016

On 04/08/16 23:00, joehuang wrote:
> I think all the problem is caused by the definition "official OpenStack project" for one big-tent project.
>
> I understand that each OpenStack vendor wants some differentiation in their solution, while also would
> like to collaborate with common core projects.

Nobody wants this. We want to build a fully-featured cloud that can run
the same kinds of apps that users might develop for AWS/Azure/GCE, and
we want those apps to be portable substantially everywhere. It's all
right there in the Mission Statement.

> If we replace the title "official OpenStack project" to "OpenStack ecosystem player", and make "big-tent"
> as "ecosystem play yard" ( no close roof ), TCs can put more focus on governance of core projects
> (current non-big-tent projects), and provide a more open place to grow abundant ecosystem.

You're describing the exact situation we had before the 'big-tent' reform.