[openstack-dev] [TripleO] a new Undercloud install driven by Heat

Thomas Herve therve at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 11:39:44 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 4, 2016 at 11:48 PM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:
> Last week I started some prototype work on what could be a new way to
> install the Undercloud. The driving force behind this was some of the
> recent "composable services" work we've done in TripleO so initially I
> called in composable undercloud. There is an etherpad here with links
> to some of the patches already posted upstream (many of which stand as
> general imporovements on their own outside the scope of what I'm
> talking about here).
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/tripleo-composable-undercloud
>
> The idea in short is that we could spin up a small single process all-
> in-one heat-all (engine and API) and thereby avoid things like Rabbit,
> and MySQL.

I saw those patches coming, I'm interested in the all-in-one approach,
if only for testing purpose. I hope to be able to propose a solution
with broker-less RPC instead of fake RPC at some point, but it's a
good first step.

I'm a bit more intrigued by the no-auth patch. It seems that Heat
would rely heavily on Keystone interactions even after initial
authentication, so I wonder how that work. As it seems you would need
to push the same approach to Ironic, have you considered starting
Keystone instead? It's a simple WSGI service, and can work with SQLite
as well I believe.

--
Thomas