[openstack-dev] [magnum] 2 million requests / sec, 100s of nodes

Ricardo Rocha rocha.porto at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 09:48:04 UTC 2016

Hi.

Quick update is 1000 nodes and 7 million reqs/sec :) - and the number of
requests should be higher but we had some internal issues. We have a
submission for barcelona to provide a lot more details.

But a couple questions came during the exercise:

1. Do we really need a volume in the VMs? On large clusters this is a
burden, and local storage only should be enough?

2. We observe a significant delay (~10min, which is half the total time to
deploy the cluster) on heat when it seems to be crunching the kube_minions
nested stacks. Once it's done, it still adds new stacks gradually, so it
doesn't look like it precomputed all the info in advance

Anyone tried to scale Heat to stacks this size? We end up with a stack with:
* 1000 nested stacks (depth 2)
* 22000 resources
* 47008 events

And already changed most of the timeout/retrial values for rpc to get this
working.

This delay is already visible in clusters of 512 nodes, but 40% of the time
in 1000 nodes seems like something we could improve. Any hints on Heat
configuration optimizations for large stacks very welcome.

Cheers,
  Ricardo