[openstack-dev] [Nova] Some thoughts on API microversions

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Aug 4 18:37:38 UTC 2016

On 08/04/2016 12:47 PM, John Garbutt wrote:
> On 4 August 2016 at 14:18, Andrew Laski <andrew at lascii.com> wrote:

>>> The problem with this approach is that the capability add isn't on a
>>> microversion boundary, as long as we continue to believe that we want to
>>> support CD deployments this means people can deploy code with the
>>> behavior change, that's not documented or signaled any way.
>
> +1
>
> I do wonder if we want to relax our support of CD, to some extent, but
> thats a different thread.
>
>> The fact that the capability add isn't on a microversion boundary is
>> exactly my point. There's no need for it to be in many cases. But it
>> would only apply for capability adds which don't affect the
>> interoperability of multiple deployments.
>>
>> The signaling would come from the ability to query the capabilities
>> listing. A change in what that listing returns indicates a behavior
>> change.
>>
>> Another reason I like the above mechanism is that it handles differences
>> in policy better as well. As much as we say that two clouds with the
>> same microversions available should accept the same requests and return
>> the same responses that's not actually true due to policy checks. I know
>> we discussed removing the ability to modify the response based on policy
>> so I'm not referring to that. What I mean is that a full action could be
>> disabled for a user. In this situation the microversion is useless
>> because it can't signal this behavior to the user, while a capabilities
>> list could.
>
> I would hate to bloat the list of possible capabilities, like we had
> with lots of silly little "extensions".
>
> I am personally leaning towards a more course grained set of
> high-level policy and capabilities, so its more human understandable.

This is the thing that feels like it's going to be the best model to
me... but I'll also say that we're a few weeks out from freeze, so the
bulk of my brain power is still on stuff that needs to make it for freeze.

So I'd love to dive deep into different approaches here, but I can't see
spending the necessary brain power until the release is in the can.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net