[openstack-dev] [nova] os-virtual-interfaces isn't deprecated in 2.36

Alex Xu soulxu at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:40:41 UTC 2016

> On 8/2/2016 2:41 AM, Alex Xu wrote:
>
>> A little strange we have two API endpoints, one is
>> '/servers/{uuid}/os-interfaces', another one is
>> '/servers/{uuid}/os-virtual-interfaces'.
>>
>> I prefer to keep os-attach-interface. Due to I think we should deprecate
>> the nova-network also. Actually we deprecate all the nova-network
>> related API in the 2.36 also. And os-attach-interface didn't support
>> nova-network, then it is the right choice.
>>
>> So we can deprecate the os-virtual-interface in newton. And in Ocata, we
>> correct the implementation to get the vif info and tag.
>> os-attach-interface actually accept the server_id, and there is check
>> ensure the port belong to the server. So it shouldn't very hard to get
>> the vif info and tag.
>>
>> And sorry for I missed that when coding patches also...let me if you
>> need any help at here.
>>

>>     --
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>
>>     Matt Riedemann

> Alex,
>
> os-interface will be deprecated, that's the APIs to show/list ports for a
> given server.
>
> os-virtual-interfaces is not the same, and was never a proxy for neutron
> since before 2.32 we never stored anything in the virtual_interfaces table
> in the nova database for neutron, but now we do because that's where we
> store the VIF tags.
>
> We have to keep os-attach-interface (attach/detach interface actions on a
> server).
>
> Are you suggesting we drop os-virtual-interfaces and change the behavior
> of os-interfaces to use the nova virtual_interfaces table rather than
> proxying to neutron?

Yes, but I missed the point your point out as below. The reason is that if
we only deprecate the GET of os-interface, then when user want to add
interface, user needs to send request 'POST /servers/{uuid}/os-interface'.
When user want to query the interface which attach to the server, user
needs send request to 'GET /servers/{uuid}/os-virtual-interfaces'. That
means user access one resource but they are under different API endpoint.

Initially I think we can use virtual_interface table to reimplement the GET
of os-interface'. But as you pointed out, neutron ports won't show if it is
created before Newton. That means we change the os-interface behaviour in
old Microversion. Emm... I'm a little hesitate.

> Note that with os-virtual-interfaces even if we start showing VIFs for
> neutron ports, any ports created before Newton won't be in there, which
> might be a bit confusing.

If we keep the os-virtual-interfaces, but we can't ensure this API works
for all the instances forever. Due to we can't ensure there won't any old
instance which created before Newton in user's cloud.

So.. one idea, we keep the GET of os-interface, deprecate the
os-virtual-interfaces in Newton. In Ocata, we use virtual_interface
table/object instead of neutron API proxy, but we fallback to proxy neutron
API when the instance haven't virtual_interface table( this is detected by
compare the network_info_cache, instance have vif in network_info_cace, but
no entry in virtual_interface table.).