[openstack-dev] [horizon] Angular panel enable/disable not overridable in local_settings

Rob Cresswell robert.cresswell at outlook.com
Tue Aug 2 14:32:02 UTC 2016

Hi all,

So we seem to be adopting a pattern of using UPDATE_HORIZON_CONFIG in the enabled files to add a legacy/angular toggle to the settings. I don't like this, because in settings.py the enabled files are processed *after* local_settings.py imports, meaning the angular panel will always be enabled, and would require a local/enabled file change to disable it.

My suggestion would be:

- Remove current UPDATE_HORIZON_CONFIG change in the swift panel and images panel patch
- Add equivalents ('angular') to the settings.py HORIZON_CONFIG dict, and then the 'legacy' version to the test settings.

I think that should run UTs as expected, and allow the legacy/angular panel to be toggled via local_settings.

Was there a reason we chose to use UPDATE_HORIZON_CONFIG, rather than just updating the dict in settings.py? I couldn't recall a reason, and the original patch ( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/293168/ ) doesn't seem to indicate why.

Rob