[openstack-dev] [gnocchi] Support for other drivers - influxdb

Julien Danjou julien at danjou.info
Tue Aug 2 10:35:58 UTC 2016

On Tue, Aug 02 2016, Sam Morrison wrote:

Hi Sam!

> We have been using gnocchi for a while now with the influxDB driver
> and are keen to get the influxdb driver back into upstream.
>
> However looking into the code and how it’s arranged it looks like
> there are a lot of assumptions that the backend storage driver is
> carbonara based.

More or less. There is a separation layer (index/storage) and a full
abstraction layer so it's possible to write a driver for any TSDB.
Proof, we had an InfluxDB driver.
Now the separation layer is not optimal for some TSDBs like InfluxDB,
unfortunately nobody never stepped up to enhance it.

> Is gnocchi an API for time series DBs or is it a time series DB
> itself?

Both. It's an API over TSDBs, and it also has its own TSDB based on
Carbonara+{Ceph,File,Swift}.

> The tests that are failing are due to the way carbonara and influx handle the
> retention and multiple granularities differently. (which we can work around
> outside of gnocchi for now)
>
> So I guess I’m wondering if there will be support for other drivers apart from carbonara?

Sure. We dropped the InfluxDB driver because nobody was maintaining it
and it was not passing the tests anymore. But we'd be glad to have it
in-tree I'd say.

> We use influx because we already use it for other stuff within our organisation
> and don’t want to set up ceph or swift (which is quite an endeavour) to support
> another time series DB.

That makes sense. If you don't need scaling, I can only encourage you
taking a look at using Carbonara+file rather than InfluxDB in the
future, which I think is still a better choice.

But in the meantime, feel free to send a patch to include back InfluxDB
in Gnocchi. As long as you're ready to help us maintain it, we'll all
open on that. :)

Cheers,
--
Julien Danjou