[openstack-dev] Changing the repo descriptions in the github mirrors

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Mon Aug 1 16:10:59 UTC 2016

Hey everybody!

Recently some of us in Infra land were browsing through the upstream git
source code, and happened to notice their repo description in github:

https://github.com/git//git

"Git Source Code Mirror - This is a publish-only repository and all pull
requests are ignored. Please follow Documentation/SubmittingPatches
procedure for any of your improvements."

It seemed both clear and informative, and made us think that we could
provide the same clarity to people who might come to our source code via
github.

For those who are not aware, we do currently run a Pull Request Closer
that closes any pull requests we get with a note about how to submit
things to gerrit. In many repos we also have a CONTRIBUTING.rst file
that also includes instructions on how to submit code - but ultimately I
think the more upfront we can be with people the less far down the road
of trying to contribute to OpenStack via a pull request they'll get.

We also have a mild issue over time of github descriptions going stale,
as we currently only set them at GH mirror creation time (turns out
asserting a bunch of metadata on thousands of repositories is a LOT of
API calls)

In any case, I've got some proposed patches up to implement this:

https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:global-gh-desc

But it seemed like one of those things where giving folks a heads up
and/or a time to give feedback before pulling the trigger would be friendly.

Thoughts?

Monty