[openstack-dev] [tc] persistently single-vendor projects

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Mon Aug 1 15:38:32 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Adrian Otto's message of 2016-08-01 15:14:48 +0000:
> I am struggling to understand why we would want to remove projects from our big tent at all, as long as they are being actively developed under the principles of "four opens". It seems to me that working to disqualify such projects sends an alarming signal to our ecosystem. The reason we made the big tent to begin with was to set a tone of inclusion. This whole discussion seems like a step backward. What problem are we trying to solve, exactly?
>
> If we want to have tags to signal team diversity, that's fine. We do that now. But setting arbitrary requirements for big tent inclusion based on who participates definitely sounds like a mistake.

Membership in the big tent comes with benefits that have a real
cost born by the rest of the community. Space at PTG and summit
forum events is probably the one that's easiest to quantify and to
point to as something limited that we want to use as productively
as possible. If 90% of the work of a project is being done by a
single company or organization (our current definition for
single-vendor), and that doesn't change after 18 months, then I
would take that as a signal that the community isn't interested
enough in the project to bear the associated costs.

I'm interested in hearing other reasons that we should keep these
sorts of projects, though. I'm not yet ready to propose the change
to the policy myself.

Doug