[openstack-dev] [nova] Distributed Database

Edward Leafe ed at leafe.com
Fri Apr 29 01:54:22 UTC 2016

On Apr 28, 2016, at 5:35 PM, Clint Byrum <clint at fewbar.com> wrote:

> - Vitess [2] is a proven technology that serves _every_ request to
>  Youtube, and provides a familiar SQL interface with sharding built
>  in. Shard by project ID and you can just use regular index semantics.
>  Or if that's unacceptable (IMO it's fine since Vitess provides enough
>  redundancy that one shard has plenty of failure-domain reliability),
>  you can also use the built-in Hadoop support they have for doing
>  exactly what has been described (merge sorting the result of cross-cell
>  queries).

Thanks for that reference. I hadn’t heard of Vitess before, but it looks pretty capable.

> So, I have to ask, why is cells v2 being pushed so hard without looking
> outside OpenStack for actual existing solutions, which, IMO, are
> _numerous_, battle hardened, and simpler than cells.

Cells are a great concept, but of course the devil is in the implementation. So if having cells is an advantage (and that is a separate discussion that already seems settled), then we should focus on the best way to implement it for (short-term) efficiency and (long-term) maintainability.

-- Ed Leafe