[openstack-dev] [OpenStack][Neutron][Monasca] Traffic counters at Layer 3

Rubab Syed rubab.syed21 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 10:43:58 UTC 2016

Thanks for replying.

Yes, Armando. I've seen it and I'm using that approach to cater explicit
labels/traffic the user wants to monitor by providing CIDRs in my plugin's
configuration file. However, it gives overall bandwidth for a particular
label. I want the traffic going in, out and generated at the router in
separate metrics. like

qrouter.in_packets_sec
qrouter.forward_packets_sec
qrouter.out_packets_sec

Akihiro, I'm doing something similar. Instead of consuming notifications
(which are insufficient in my case) generated by metering agent, I'm
collecting router's traffic counters from already deployed iptables per
network namespace through monasca agent[1] that performs checks against
your system after configured intervals.

I'm using the approach that if a user deploys monasca agent on a node and
qrouter plugin is enabled, per router per tenant in/out/generated traffic
can be visualized using grafana and used for alarm generation without
having to configure something(such as manual label and rule creation) on
neutron side.

I just want to make sure I'm not missing any traffic passing through
router. Makes sense?

[1] https://github.com/openstack/monasca-agent

Thanks!