[openstack-dev] [nova] Distributed Database

Edward Leafe ed at leafe.com
Sun Apr 24 00:12:03 UTC 2016

On Apr 23, 2016, at 10:10 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:

>> I think replacing nova's persistent storage layer with a distributed
>> database would have a great effect - but I do not think it would have
>> anything to do with the database itself. It would come from the act that
>> would be completely necessary to accomplish that- completely rewriting
>> the persistence layer.
>
> So... The folks from the Discovery initiative working on a massively-distributed cloud use case have been working on incremental changes to make that use case better supported by stock OpenStack. That includes an oslo.db driver backed by a distributed database. Being scientists, they ran interesting experiments to see when and where it made sense.
>
> They will present their findings in the upstream dev track, and I think it makes a good data point for this discussion:
>
> https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/summit-schedule/events/7342

That’s exactly the scenario I had in mind. When I first was tasked with creating cells in the early days of OpenStack, Rackspace wanted a global deployment of individual cells that could be addressed individually or as a single deployment. It wasn’t the load on the database that was ever the issue; it was the inability to keep the data synchronized across the globe. I pushed for something better than MySQL at this, but was not successful in convincing many others. I’m really looking forward to hearing the results of these tests.

-- Ed Leafe