[openstack-dev] [kolla][kubernetes] Mirantis participation in kolla-mesos project and shift towards Kubernetes

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 20:26:51 UTC 2016

On 04/22/2016 08:27 PM, Steven Dake (stdake) wrote:
>     * Repository per OpenStack and Infra component, e.g. one from nova,
>     one for neutron and etc. - to contain all needed container images
>     for running corresponding services in different topologies;
>     * It should be possible to use other containers, not just docker,
>     for example - rkt.
>
> I disagree strongly with the solution.  But you have stated a solution
> without a problem.  I can tell you why I am anti-mult-repository – it
> makes managing backports very difficult and time consuming.  It makes
> repository management very difficult.  One error I think we made in
> kolla-mesos was making a separate repository in the first place.  The
> code should have just went straight into the kolla repo under the mesos
> subdirectory just as ansible is today.

If you look at Puppet and Chef deployment repositories, you will notice
they separate each service out into separate repositories.

Having separate repositories manes that they can version each service's
deployment module/recipes separately from each other. You don't need to
pull in patches to all of the Chef cookbooks for all services if you
only need to apply a Keystone patch that the cookbook-openstack-identity
repository applies and manages.

This is the primary reason a multi-repository layout makes more sense to me.

The single repo approach feels monolithic and the reverse of the
nextgen-12-factor-app-microservice-the-world mentality that containers
espouse.

Best,
-jay