[openstack-dev] [Security][Barbican][all] Bring your own key fishbowl sessions

Douglas Mendizábal douglas.mendizabal at rackspace.com
Fri Apr 22 21:46:34 UTC 2016

No conflicts with your cross-project session as far as I can tell.

In a nutshell BYOK-Push is a model where the customer retains full
control of their cryptographic keys.  The customer is expected to
provide the necessary keys each and every time a request is made that
requires some cryptographic operation.  Amazon S3's SSE-C encryption
[1] would be a good example of this model.

In a BYOK-Pull model, the customer would grant access to their cloud
provider for some key management system inside their private
infrastructure.  For example this model could be used in a hybrid
cloud where the customer has an on-premise barbican that can provide
keys on-demand to the public cloud provider.

+1 to not spending a lot of time talking about a model that no one is
interested in implementing.  My impression at the last joint
Barbican/OSSP mid-cycle was that most people were interested in the
push model.

[1]
http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/ServerSideEncryptionCusto
merKeys.html