[openstack-dev] [magnum][app-catalog][all] Build unified abstraction for all COEs

Keith Bray keith.bray at RACKSPACE.COM
Fri Apr 22 15:53:27 UTC 2016

Thanks Amirth… I’m glad to see it hasn’t changed much since I was involved
with Trove in its early days.  What you are describing makes sense, and I
view it as an LCD for managing common things across the database types,
not an LCD for the database interaction performed by the user/client
interacting with the application database.  This parallels where I think
Magnum should sit, which is general management of the COEs (reinitialize
bay, backup bay, maybe even common configuration of bays, etc. etc.), and
not an LCD for user/application interaction with the COEs.  It’s a grey
area for sure, as should “list containers” on a bay be a common
abstraction?  I think it’s too early to tell… and, to be clear for all
folks, I’m not opposed to the LCD existing.  I just don’t want it to be
required for the operator to run it at this time as part of Magnum given
how quickly the COE technology landscape is evolving.  So, optional
support, or separate API/Project make the most sense to me, and can always
be merged in as part of the Magnum project at a future date once the
technology landscape settles.  RDBMS has been fairly standard for awhile.

Thanks for all the input.  The context helps.

-Keith