[openstack-dev] Question about OpenStack Code of Conduct

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Apr 22 15:35:21 UTC 2016

On 04/21/2016 02:04 PM, Jeremy Stanley wrote:
> On 2016-04-21 17:54:56 +0000 (+0000), Adrian Otto wrote:
>> Below is an excerpt from:
>> https://www.openstack.org/legal/community-code-of-conduct/
>>
>> "When we disagree, we consult others. Disagreements, both social
>> and technical, happen all the time and the OpenStack community is
>> no exception. It is important that we resolve disagreements and
>> differing views constructively and with the help of the community
>> and community processes. We have the Technical Board, the User
>> Committee, and a series of other governance bodies which help to
>> decide the right course for OpenStack. There are also Project Core
>> Teams and Project Technical Leads, who may be able to help us
>> figure out the best direction for OpenStack. When our goals differ
>> dramatically, we encourage the creation of alternative
>> implementations, so that the community can test new ideas and
>> contribute to the discussion.”
>>
>> Does the “Technical Board” mentioned above mean “Technical
>> Committee” or “Foundation board of directors”? It is not clear to
>> me when consulting our list of governance bodies[1]. It’s
>> mentioned along with the “User Committee”, so I think the text
>> actually meant “Technical Committee”. Who can clarify this
>> ambiguity?
>
> This question would probably be better asked on the
> foundation at lists.openstack.org mailing list since the openstack-dev
> audience doesn't generally have direct control over content on
> www.openstack.org/legal, but the wording seems to have been
> partially copied from the Ubuntu community's[1] which refers to
> their analogue[2] of our TC.
>
> [1] https://launchpad.net/codeofconduct/1.0.1
> [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TechnicalBoard

I'll also point out that identifying the specific groups are meant as
examples of "governance bodies" in the text you posted meant to offer
guidance rather than a direction of which body to contact for which type
of situation you may be experiencing.

While I agree clarity is good and I am interested in hearing what how
the foundation responds to this question, I don't perceive different
ways of interpreting "Technical Board" to result in different kinds of
hehaviour.

Thanks Adrian, it is good to draw attention to our guide posts and
discuss them on a regular basis.

Thank you,
Anita.