[openstack-dev] [Neutron][ML2][API]Binding a port to multiple hosts

Andreas Scheuring scheuran at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Apr 22 14:37:18 UTC 2016

After some discussion how portbinding handling could be improved during
live migration, the following idea came up:

Why not bind a port to both, the source and the target host during
migration?

This would allow us to set the portbinding for the target already in
pre_live_migration. Doing so, we could verify that portbinding works and
get around issues where the instance is stuck in error state after a
migration [2]. Also things like Migration between 2 l2 agents would work
out [2] and the restrictions with the macvtap agent on live migration
can be lifted [3]. Of course also some changes to nova are required -
but first we need to prepare neutron for this.

I was able to write down a first spec with some information. Looking
forward to discuss that at this summit with a few folks.

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/309416/

Andreas

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/309416/
[2]