[openstack-dev] [magnum][app-catalog][all] Build unified abstraction for all COEs

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Thu Apr 21 19:36:07 UTC 2016

I agree with that, and thats why providing some bare minimum abstraction will help the users not have to choose a COE themselves. If we can't decide, why can they? If all they want to do is launch a container, they should be able to script up "magnum launch-container foo/bar:latest" and get one. That script can then be relied upon.

Today, they have to write scripts to deploy to the specific COE they have chosen. If they chose Docker, and something better comes out, they have to go rewrite a bunch of stuff to target the new, better thing. This puts a lot of work on others.

Do I think we can provide an abstraction that prevents them from ever having to rewrite scripts? No. There are a lot of features in the COE world in flight right now and we dont want to solidify an api around them yet. We shouldn't even try that. But can we cover a few common things now? Yeah.

Thanks,
Kevin