[openstack-dev] [neutron][nova][oslo] Common backoff & timeout utils

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:54:11 UTC 2016

On 4/20/16 3:29 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Yes, please, let's try to make that work and contribute upstream if we
> need minor modifications, before we create something new.

We can leverage the 'retrying' module (already in global requirements).
It lacks a few things we need, but those can be implemented using its
existing "hooks" today, or, working with the module owner(s) to push a
few changes that we need (the later probably provides the "greatest good").

Assuming we'll leverage 'retrying', I was thinking the initial goals
here are:
(a) Ensure 'retrying' supports the behaviors we need for our usages in
neutron + nova (see [1] - [5] on my initial note) today. Implementation
details TBD.
(b) Implement a "Backing off RPC client" in oslo, inspired by [1].
(c) Update nova + neutron to use the "common implementation(s)" rather
than 1-offs.

This sounds fun and I'm happy to take it on. However, I probably won't
make much progress until after the summit for obvious reasons. I'll plan
to lead with code, if a RFE/spec/other is needed please let me know.

Additional comments welcomed.

Thanks

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/280595