[openstack-dev] [magnum][app-catalog][all] Build unified abstraction for all COEs

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Apr 20 23:14:41 UTC 2016

I think Magnum much is much closer to Sahara or Trove in its workings. Heat's orchestration. Thats what the COE does.

Sahara is and has plugins to deploy various Hadoopy like clusters, get them assembled into something useful, and has a few abstraction api's like "submit a job to the deployed hadoop cluster queue."

Trove is and has plugins to deploy various Databasey things. Both SQL and noSQL. It has a few abstractions over all the things for cluster maintenance, backups, db and user creation.

If all Magnum did was deploy a COE, you could potentially just use Heat to do that.

What I want to do is have Heat hooked in closely enough through Magnum that Heat templates can deploy COE templates through Magnum Resources. Heat tried to do that with a docker resource driver directly, and its messy, racy, and doesn't work very well. Magnum's in a better position to establish a communication channel between Heat and the COE due to its back channel into the vms, bypassing Neutron network stuff.

Thanks,
Kevin