[openstack-dev] [neutron][nova][oslo] Common backoff & timeout utils

Boden Russell bodenvmw at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 20:10:07 UTC 2016

Today there are a number of places in nova, neutron and perhaps
elsewhere that employ backoff + timeout strategies (see [1] - [4]).
While we are working towards a unified approach in neutron for RPC [5],
it appears such logic could benefit the greater community as a reusable
oslo implementation.

IMHO such an oslo implementation could:
- Enable backoff/timeout irrespective of client/transport. This would
allow the utils to be used with various clients (HTTP, AMQP RPC, etc.).
- Support namespacing as inspired by the existing neutron patch [5].
- In the future, perhaps, allow multiple (pluggable) backoff strategies
to be used (e.g. configurable backoff).

Anyone adverse to me crafting an initial oslo patch to kick-off the
details on this one?

Thanks

[1] https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/conductor/api.py#L162
[2]