[openstack-dev] [neutron] [networking-sfc] A standards-compliant SFC API

Duarte Cardoso, Igor igor.duarte.cardoso at intel.com
Wed Apr 20 19:54:07 UTC 2016

Thanks for the feedback Armando,

Adding missing tag.

Best regards,
Igor.

From: Armando M. [mailto:armamig at gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 6:03 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List (not for usage questions) <openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org>
Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] [neutron][sfc] A standards-compliant SFC API

On 20 April 2016 at 09:31, Duarte Cardoso, Igor <igor.duarte.cardoso at intel.com<mailto:igor.duarte.cardoso at intel.com>> wrote:
Dear OpenStack Community,

We've been investigating options in/around OpenStack for supporting Service Function Chaining. The networking-sfc project has made significant progress in this space, and we see lots of value in what has been completed. However, when we looked at the related IETF specs on SFC we concluded that there would be value in further developing an SFC API and related classification functionality to enhance the alignment between the work in the OpenStack community with the standards work. We would like to propose the SFC part as a potential networking-sfc v2 API, but are open to other options too based on your feedback.

I have submitted a spec to the neutron-specs repo [1], where you can check what our initial thoughts for this new API are, and provide your feedback or questions regarding the same.

Your thoughts on this are deeply appreciated. We are looking forward to having further discussions with everyone interested in giving feedback or establishing collaborations during the OpenStack Summit in Austin.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/308453

Thanks for reaching out.

The networking-sfc initiative so far has been pretty autonomous. The project has its own launchpad project [1] and its own docs to document APIs and proposals [2]. During the long journey that Neutron has been through, we have been adjusting how to manage the project in order to strike a good balance between development agility, product stability and community needs. We're always looking forward to improving that balance and this means that how we track certain initiatives may evolve in the future. For now, it's probably best to target the mailing list with tag [networking-sfc] (in addition to neutron), as well as the project noted below.

[1] https://launchpad.net/networking-sfc
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/developer/networking-sfc/

Thank you,
Igor & the Intel OpenStack networking team.