[openstack-dev] [magnum][app-catalog][all] Build unified abstraction for all COEs

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Wed Apr 20 16:08:21 UTC 2016

So, location of unified api is an interesting topic... Can things be arranged in such a way that the abstraction largely exists only on the client in its own project?

So, what about a change of ideas....

The three pain points in the abstraction are:
 * Authentication
 * Connectivity
 * Differences in COE features/api that need abstracting.

Authentication issues: All OpenStack services use the same creds. Its painful if you ever have to use another set. How does a client ask Magnum for creds for a COE if it doesn't have some. Its painful if doesn't use keystone tokens. Three ways to solve this... 1, add keystone auth support to the COEs and have Magnum always configure it. 2, Proxy the COE api through Magnum's api, and deal with authentication on the Magnum side using Keystone. 3, Have some kind of way to provision users/creds in each of the COE's and have a way to fetch the creds easily via Magnum's api.

Connectivity issues: The cloud ops ensure Magnum/Keystone/etc's apis are available. The COE's api is potentially in a tenant or private network, where it can be difficult to know how to get to properly. If you have two COE's in two different tenants both using 10.0.0.0/24 you may run into issues keeping them apart. So I can see two potential ways forward here. Again, proxying the native COE api requests through Magnum could solve the issue. The other would be mandating every COE have a floating ip, though I think there still are issues there with clouds with multiple external networks and connectivity (I have a cloud with multiple external networks, so I know they are real :)

So, what do folks think about a proxy? I think all three COE API's are rest based? If so, they could be grafted into magum api, something like /v1/coeproxy/<id_of_coe>/.

A unified client could then use keystone auth and the magnum api to talk to the COE, and then all the rest of the Abstraction nasties are all Features/API differences and totally on the client to figure out. This can be a non Magnum project if its too distasteful.

Thanks,
Kevin