[openstack-dev] [ironic] upgrade support between which versions of ironic?

Mathieu Mitchell mmitchell at internap.com
Wed Apr 20 12:38:28 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-19 11:29 PM, Tan, Lin wrote:
> I agree this is reasonable to support all these cases in “cold upgrades” but in supports-rolling-upgrade (live upgrade in another word) case it is different and complicated and not necessary,
>
> During rolling upgrade, we will have old/new services co-existed, and we need to make services compatible which need some extra code work and this is the main purpose of spec [1]. And as far as I can see, we are  not allowed to skip over releases when rolling upgrading.  So my point is support name release is enough.
>
> 1. Because even if we want to support major number release, admins have to upgrade from 5.0 -> 6.0 then 6.0 -> 7.0 in Ruby’s case of 5.0.0, 5.1.0 == Mitaka, 5.2.0, 6.0.0, 6.1.0, 7.0.0, 7.1.0, 7.2.0 == Newton. And we might have a higher release frequency in the future. So it’s too much work for upgrade a service every six months.
>
> 2. As we usually rolling upgrade the whole cloud, not for ironic only. For example, other projects will upgrade from Mitaka to Netwon, there is not much sense to upgrade Ironic from 5.0 -> 6.0 only.

As an operator, I disagree with that statement. We follow different
upgrade paths for Ironic and Glance for example. My area of concern
around Ironic is compatibility with Nova and Neutron. If we can prove
via CI that Nova on an older version still works with Ironic on master
and vice versa, we will successfully avoid having to do them in a lockstep.

> At last, we should add a multi-node grenade CI to test the rolling upgrade mechanism was not broken. Here is my suggestion, we will have two nodes, Node A and Node B. Node A will run both of last named release of ironic-api and ironic-conductor and node B will run last named release ironic-conductor only. Multi-node grenade CI will only upgrade Node A and then we can test the interaction between new SHA of ironic-api and new SHA/last named release of ironic-conductor still works.  This should also apply to stable branch.

That's a test case for "live upgrade", +1 :)

Mathieu