[openstack-dev] [Magnum] Magnum supports 2 Nova flavor to provision minion nodes

Duan, Li-Gong (Gary, HPServers-Core-OE-PSC) li-gong.duan at hpe.com
Wed Apr 20 07:38:48 UTC 2016

Hi Folks,

We are considering whether Magnum can supports 2 Nova flavors to provision Kubernetes and other COE minion nodes.
This requirement comes from the below use cases:

-          There are 2 kind of baremetal machines in customer site: one is legacy machines which doesn't support UEFI secure boot and others are new machines which support UEFI secure boot. User want to use Magnum to provisions a Magnum bay of Kubernetes from these 2 kind of baremetal machines and for the machines supporting secure boot, user wants to use UEFI secure boot to boot them up. And 2 Kubernetes label(secure-booted and non-secure-booted) are created and User can deploy their data-senstive/cirtical workload/containers/pods on the baremetal machines which are secure-booted.

This requirement requires Magnum to supports 2 Nova flavors(one is "extra_spec: secure_boot=True" and the other doesn't specify it) based on the Ironic feature(https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/ironic-specs/specs/kilo-implemented/uefi-secure-boot.html ).

Could you kindly give me some comments on these requirement or whether it is reasonable from your point? If you agree, we can write design spec and implement this feature?

Regards,
Gary