[openstack-dev] [kolla] kolla-mesos development being scaled back

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Wed Apr 20 06:40:27 UTC 2016

Hey folks,

I know a lot of folks are already aware of this, but as we head into summit, in the interest of an Open Community, it is important to share this information widely.  The major implementors of the kolla-emsos repository listed in this specification [1] don't intend to continue its development within the Kolla project governance.  I suspect we will end up placing this repository in the attic and removing it s a deliverable for Kolla under Kolla governance and TC oversight.

Heading into summit, I want folks to understand this fact - kolla-mesos was started as an experimental repository to re-use much of the design of Kolla, and the project has had some success at achieving this goal.  Unfortunately the project implementors don't intend to continue its development in the Open, but instead take it "internal" and work on it privately.  I disagree with this approach, but as the PTL of Kolla I have done everything I can to provide an inviting positive working environment for the folks working on kolla-mesos.  It is such a shame, as kolla-emsos is making good progress.  The core-reviewers will have to vote (after summit concludes) what to do with the repository and all of the good work produced so far, but I don't believe there is enough support to continue the repository development.

Regards,
-steve

[1] https://github.com/openstack/kolla/blob/master/specs/mesos-deployment.rst