[openstack-dev] [Fuel] snapshot tool

Dmitry Sutyagin dsutyagin at mirantis.com
Tue Apr 19 23:33:54 UTC 2016

IMHO, removal of sensitive information is done by services when they (do
not) log relative data to logs, such as tokens. Current set of commands
only collects specific config folders and files and logs, but if an admin
decided to store keys in one of these folders - the tool will collect them
too. It's up to the end user to only provide data collected via this tool
to a trusted party. Same goes for our current snapshot mechanism.
As of sanitization for hostnames, IPs, etc - this will make the diagnostic
snapshot pretty useless because it's important for navigation within logs
and configs, for RCA compilation, etc.

I cannot say much about running under a non-root account, I guess that
would be pretty easy to implement, let's wait for Alexander's reply. I am
not sure it is useful though because a non-root user will not have
necessary access unless there is a passwordless non-interactive sudo config.

Yours sincerely,
Dmitry Sutyagin
OpenStack Escalations Engineer
Mirantis, Inc.