[openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input needed on summit discussion about global requirements

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Apr 19 23:11:09 UTC 2016

Thomas,

I normally side with the distro's take on making sure there is no duplication, but I think Thierry's point comes from two differences coming up that the traditional distro's don't tend to account for.

The traditional distro usually is about a single machine. being able to install all the things together. This often is beneficial but sometimes has major conflicts. OpenStack deployments often run into issues where you might want to run a newer X or newer Y package that is compatible. For example, I often want to run a liberty nova and a mitaka horizon on the same machine. Distro's currently make that impossible with their deployment tools.

There are a few ways around this... Some sites use multiple physical or virtual machines to separate the distro's components so that incompatible packages can be installed in the same system.

To Thierry's point about newer distro's, there are distro's today starting to form around Docker as a packaging device and it does not have the same issues that traditional distro's do. Fedora/Redhat Atomic, CoreOS, RancherOS are some examples. You can run incompatible rabbit's on the same server. Both can be patched to the latest secure version, but simply incompatible with each other. Say a stable v1 branch and a stable v2 branch. They probably share every package except 1, and at a file system level actually do share all the space but the change.

The most interesting bit about containers to me, is that the traditional distro's are often used as source materiel for the container images. So it doesn't eliminate debs/rpms. it just puts a wall around them to make conflicts not so bad.

There's a whole nother discussion about keeping the containers up to date.... its a hard problem and not well solved yet. But I do think that's fixable. Most likely the traditional distro's will test/ship containers based on their traditional distro and refresh the containers when any of the deps get updated too. This allows the distro's to continue to do the job that they are already great at. Packaging up, testing, and releasing great software that as a user, you can trust.

Thanks,
Kevin