[openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input needed on summit discussion about global requirements

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Apr 19 17:44:53 UTC 2016

Excerpts from Michał Jastrzębski's message of 2016-04-18 10:29:20 -0700:
> What I meant is if you have liberty Nova and liberty Cinder, and you
> want to upgrade Nova to Mitaka, you also upgrade Oslo to Mitaka and
> Cinder which was liberty either needs to be upgraded or is broken,
> therefore during upgrade you need to do cinder and nova at the same
> time. DB can be snapshotted for rollbacks.

If we're breaking backward compatibility even across one release, that
is a bug.  You should be able to run Liberty components with Mitaka
Libraries. Unfortunately, the testing matrix for all of the combinations
is huge and nobody is suggesting we try to solve that equation.

However, to the point of distros: partial upgrades is not the model distro
packages work under. They upgrade what they can, whether they're a rolling
release, or 7 year cycle LTS's. When the operator says "give me the new
release", the packages that can be upgraded, will be upgraded. And if
Mitaka Nova is depending on something outside the upper constraints in
another package on the system, the distro will just hold Nova back.