[openstack-dev] [devstack] openstack client slowness / client-as-a-service

Perry, Sean sean.perry at hpe.com
Tue Apr 19 17:39:22 UTC 2016

What Dan sees WRT a persistent client process, though, is a combination of those two things: saving the Python loading and the Keystone round trips.

If I replace the import of openstack.shell with a main that just returns 0 in the OSC entry point and time it the result floats around 0.030s on my VMs. Python itself is not the issue. The cost is in the imports.

openstack --help >/dev/null takes over 4 seconds.

Dean, have you tried replacing all of the stevedore/cliff magic with explicit imports of the common OpenStack clients? I am curious if the issue is disk access, Python's egg loading, etc.

Yeah Rust and friends are fun. But it presents a significant barrier to entry. If nothing else, Rust is not Enterprise ready. Go is not much better. We need to remember that not everyone will have their systems connected to the full Internet during system install time. Pypi mirrors with selected packages are possible today. Sure we could implement a cargo mirror too (or whatever Go calls theirs). But is that really better than improving the current situation?