[openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input needed on summit discussion about global requirements

Matthew Thode prometheanfire at gentoo.org
Tue Apr 19 16:25:47 UTC 2016

On 04/19/2016 04:48 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> [...]
>> Remember that in distros, there's only a single version of a library at
>> any given time, at the exception of transitions (yes, in Red Hat it's
>> technically possible to install multiple versions, but the policy
>> strongly advocates against this).
>
> Depends on the distro. Gentoo for example lets you have multiple
> versions of libraries installed at any given time.

For ruby or c-libs where the language allows that sure, but not for
python where it isn't generally allowed.

>> [...]
> I say "old", since with the advent of containers this limitation is
> slowly going away. Ubuntu supports snappy packaging for container-based
> packages, for example. They could totally package OpenStack that way if
> they wanted. I expect in the future the one-version-of-lib-at-a-time
> will more and more be seen as a self-imposed limitation and less as a
> distribution axiom, and next-generation distros will appear that will
> solve that limitation one way or another.

Even if things stay the same I'm working on getting Gentoo support into
openstack-ansible (deploys via virtualenvs/containers).  So work is
progressing there too.

> That said, I still think we benefit from global requirements for the
> second reason: it provides us a mechanism to encourage dependency
> convergence. This is very important, as it limits the knowledge required
> to operate OpenStack, facilitates contributors jumping from one code
> base to another, provides a great checkpoint for licensing checks, and
> reduce our overall security exposure by limiting the body of code we
> rely on. If we dump global requirements we would have to replace it with
> a lot of manual effort to push convergence overall.

Well said :D

--
-- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)