[openstack-dev] [release][requirements][packaging][summit] input needed on summit discussion about global requirements

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Apr 19 15:00:24 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-19 09:10:11 -0400 (-0400), Doug Hellmann wrote:
[...]
> We have the global list and the upper constraints list, and both
> are intended to be used to signal to packaging folks what we think
> ought to be used. I'm glad that signaling is working, and maybe
> that means you're right that we don't need to sync the list
> absolutely, just as a set of "compatible" ranges.
[...]

When we were firming up the constraints idea in Vancouver, if my
memory is correct (which it quite often is not these days), part of
the long tail Robert suggested was that once constraints usage in
the CI is widespread we could consider resolving it from individual
requirements lists in participating projects, drop the version
specifiers from the global requirements list entirely and stop
trying to actively synchronize requirement version ranges in
individual projects. I don't recall any objection from those of us
around the table, though it was a small ad-hoc group and we
certainly didn't dig too deeply into the potential caveats that
might imply.
--
Jeremy Stanley