[openstack-dev] [all]call for contributors for Tricircle project - for massive distributed edge clouds and large scale cloud.
joehuang at huawei.com
Tue Apr 19 06:37:59 UTC 2016
There are lots of challenges in massive distributed edge clouds. Enterprise as the customer of large public cloud already asked for putting the cloud to close to the end user for its distributed branches, to fulfill the user experience expectation for bandwidth and latency sensitive application like CAD modeling, the experience is not good to run in remote centralized cloud. The common problem domain is how to address the challenges in a cloud which is consisted of a lots of OpenStack instances, in one site or distributed in multiple sites:
Tenant level L2/L3 networking across OpenStack instances for isolation to tenant's E-W traffic
Tenant level Volume/VM/object backup/migration/distribution across OpenStack instances
Distributed image management, if an user create image from VM/volume, how to use the image in another OpenStack instance in another site.
Distributed quota management, how to control the quota if tenant's resources spread into multiple OpenStack instances across multiple sites.
All these challenges and requirements already happened in current production cloud built upon OpenStack.
Tricircle project tries to provide an OpenStack API gateway and networking automation to allow multiple OpenStack instances, spanning in one site or multiple sites or in hybrid cloud, to be managed as a single OpenStack cloud.
All challenges mentioned above have not been developed in Tricircle, and hope to be developed in next several cycles, need your contribution.
All source code in Tricircle were written from zero since Jun, 2015, and decoupled from current Nova/Cinder/Neutron etc service, that means the Tricircle is developed loose coupling with current OpenStack. The code base is still very small, about 25 kloc(including test cases), and working on the first release, it's easy to get on board.
Compared to other broker method for multi-OpenStacks management, Tricricle provides the OpenStack API and seamlessly work together with software like Heat, Magnum, Murano, CLI, Horizon, SDK, ....
Tricircle will be talked in two sessions in OpenStack Austin Summit ( for NFV cloud is multi-site in nature, but doesn't mean Tricircle only for NFV):
2) NFV Orchestration - Project Landscape: https://www.openstack.org/summit/austin-2016/summit-schedule/events/8468
How to get involved in Tricricle quickly:
1. Read wiki of Tricircle: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Tricircle
2. Register BP or report bug in https://launchpad.net/tricircle, found items not implemented yet in: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/TricircleToDo, submit your patch for review just like any other OpenStack project.
3. regular weekly meeting at #openstack-meeting on every Wednesday starting from UTC 13:00
4. openstack-dev mail-list discussion, with [Tricircle] tag in the mail title
5. You can follow the framework blueprint to read the source code: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/tricircle/+spec/implement-stateless the design doc for the blueprint is https://docs.google.com/document/d/18kZZ1snMOCD9IQvUKI5NVDzSASpw-QKj7l2zNqMEd3g/edit?usp=sharing
Hope this mail will help you to join Tricircle :)
Chaoyi Huang ( Joe Huang )
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the OpenStack-dev